Tempeh absorbs the rich spices and coconut milk in this simple curry. Cook the rice and steam the tempeh while prepping your other ingredients and it will come together quickly.
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 (8 oz) package tempeh
- 1 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp ground curry powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 (13.5 oz) can light coconut milk
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/2 lb green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, divided
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
Bring 1/2 cup broth to a simmer in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and ginger and cook 5 minutes or until onion is translucent and tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in curry and cumin and cook for 1 minute. Add coconut milk, potatoes, tempeh and remaining 1 cup broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook 10 minutes. Stir in green beans and return to a simmer, uncovered. Cook about 5 minutes longer or until potatoes and green beans are tender. Stir in 3 tablespoons cilantro and salt. To serve, spoon curry over rice and garnish with remaining 1 tablespoon cilantro.