The key to having your kids eat healthly is to stay ahead of the game. That means plan. Regarding snacks, give them something to eat before they ask for it. Have a plate of cheese, hummus, veggies and nuts sitting out on the table. Here are a few of my kids’ favorites:
- ProBugs yogurt drinks. 7 grams of protein plus probiotics. They come in several different flavors.
- Frozen Grapes. Throw your grapes in the freezer, and bring them out when it's snack time. They are addictive. Also, a favorite in our house is frozen peas. Yes, I said peas. Kids LOVE them!
- Edamame. Easy to prepare. Buy frozen, boil for 1 min and add sea salt.
- TIAS! tortilla chips. It is still junk food, but it is non-toxic junk food. These taste very much like their "evil twin," Doritos. They are sooo delicious. Add fresh salsa or guacamole.
- Nitrate free jerky. Many grocery store are beginning to offer this such as Tom Thumb's Open Nature brand and Whole Foods' 365 brand.
- Clif Bars. They are almost everywhere, and they are free from junky additives.
- Quesadillas with hormone-free cheese and beans.
- Peanut butter and honey. Put on whole wheat bread, rice cakes, sliced apples or on a banana. Choose organic because regular peanuts are RIDDLED with toxic pesticides. Almond butter is even better.